Day One of a New Adventure...

Greetings,

...and so today begins a new adventure, and a few long days of work.  Are you curious yet as to what this adventure might be?  I hope so! As a matter of fact I am counting on your positive response.  Oh, and just in case you wondered if it actually has something to do with my art, the answer is yes.

Untitled
8.5 x 11 on paper
pencil, marker paint pens
When I decided to do this drawing last night, I began to consider why I have been feeling compelled to do so. There is a bit of a story and if you will indulge me for a short paragraph or so, I will endeavor to explain.

About a year ago my son used the design of a koi fish for a tattoo.  Before I go any further let me give artistic kudos to the artist who created this work. (I prefer not to have a pro/con discussion on tattooing)  The point of sharing this information with you is to explain how it is that I came to be creating an Asian influence piece of art.  Or that I have never given a lot of thought to the representational meanings within this genre.  I only know that I kept feeling compelled to do so.  I did what all curious people do these days...I googled koi fish.

Koi fish are symbolic in Japanese culture representing good fortune or luck, perseverance in adversity and strength of purpose, and in Buddhism to represent courage.  According to Japanese legend, if a koi succeeded in climbing the falls at a point called Dragon Gate on the Yellow River, it would be transformed into a dragon. Based on that legend, it became a symbol of worldly aspiration and advancement.

While this not typical subject matter for my art, this piece fits neatly into the current genre of my line drawings (aka doodle art).  The materials and the line work are the same.  What is most thought provoking, is the relation between my choice of subject and the significance between my subconscious and consciousnes. By this I mean, my need to create art and underlying need that led me to use the koi fish.

Peace~

Valerie
All website, text, graphics, content, and art work are the selection and arrangement thereof, Copyright © 2015 Valerie Dowdy Art, My View from 1502 and The Custom Brush ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Any use of materials on this website - including reproduction, modification, distribution, or republication - without the prior written permission from Valerie Dowdy is strictly prohibited.