How To Make Lotion...




With a little more time on my hands than normal, I decided to try something I've been researching online and in local markets or shops, and that is homemade lotion. My problem is that I am very allergic to perfumes, cleaners with heavy odors, scented candles, etc. To the point that I've developed allergic asthma. And honestly, the quality of unscented products on the market are not that great.
So, I decided why not...







Making Lotion:

The basic recipe is actually pretty simple. There are three main ingredients, 
1. water
2. oil
3. emulsifier 
(The emulsifier is the binding agent for the oil and water.) 
You will also need, measuring cups, a mixer, a microwaveable bowl, and a spatula, airtight jar(s) for storage

From this point there are numerus ingredients that you can add. From the types of oils (coconut, olive, grapeseed, aloe gel), or combinations of these. I added vitamin E to my recipe for its healing properties and antioxidant value. There are so many scents out there you can add it's mind boggling. Be as creative as you like, and develop your own personal signature recipe. OR, if you're like me, you can design a lotion that has qualities you need, without the added perfumes or ingredients that you may not feel comfortable using on your skin. 

Should you decide to give making lotion a try, please note a few facts: 
This recipe is preservative free and will last around 2-3 weeks
If you choose to use coconut oil (I did) and you refridgerate your lotion, it can solidify. 
Do your research, and make sure you understand the chemical properties of your product. 
I am not recommending any recipe in particular, there are many out there to choose from! 

And last, but not least, have fun! 

Peace,
Valerie 


All website, text, graphics, content, and art work are the selection and arrangement thereof, Copyright © 2015 Valerie Dowdy Art, My View from 1502 and The Custom Brush ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Any use of materials on this website - including reproduction, modification, distribution, or republication - without the prior written permission from Valerie Dowdy is strictly prohibited.