Day 338

8 x10 oils

The photographer (that would be me) took a horrible shot of this one! Try to look over her flashed out face. There really are more tones there!

When I went fishing on facebook for suggestions about continuing to blog when this project ends, I was surprised at the feedback I received. Someone suggested that I might want to keep blogging my art, but at a more relaxed pace. They also thought it would be a good idea to post pieces of art that speak to me and discuss this. I really like this idea, and I am giving it serious consideration.

Tonight's art, and last nights as well, are definitely influenced by two artists. I have been looking online at some contemporary works. I do this as an exercise to help me focus and to find inspiration. 

Klimt and Picasso are the two in particular that I focused on. I greatly admire both of their work. Everyone knows that Picasso painted and created in a genre we refer to as cubism and that Klimt was considered a leader of and into the art nouveau period. 

But, do you know that Picasso was a realist first? (example. picasso realism), and he experimented with many others styles until cubism. (Klimt  read his bio if you like from this link).  Klimt worked was a muralist/decorator. He helped found what is known as the Vienna Secession.  Tanzerin, one of my favorites, is a good example of the his style. He was noted for his murals, female subjects, symbolism, and eroticism. 

Interestingly, many artists, both female and male, spend their entire lives focusing on the female subject.  I have remarked that art works are small windows into the heart and soul. Perhaps if we all studied art more we could learn how a creative person thinks and reasons.  

I ran across this quote today by Klimt and am sharing it below. 



Whoever wants to know something about me - as an artist which alone is significant - they should look attentively at my pictures and there seek to recognise what I am and what I want. 
Gustav Klimt

Nite,
Valerie

All website, text, graphics, content, and art work are the selection and arrangement thereof, Copyright © 2015 Valerie Dowdy Art, My View from 1502 and The Custom Brush ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Any use of materials on this website - including reproduction, modification, distribution, or republication - without the prior written permission from Valerie Dowdy is strictly prohibited.