Sometimes a step backward can help assure you are still traveling the path which you should be. For example, these paintings are what brought me to my interest in surrealism and how combining doodling, ink, pencil, watercolors & oil these paintings took shape.
Not many see these pieces, they are a series of self portraits. I have shown one here or there, but never in their entirety. Here they are.  

I am unable or unwilling to talk about them, yet. The subject matters are personal and deep rooted. I confess that I use my daughters as models. I realize that I did so unconsciously, but they are extensions of myself.
Which leads to an interesting discussion or question we should all address: how do we truly perceive ourselves and what we really think we look like versus how the rest of the world sees us. 

"Untitled"
Mixed Media
18 x 24 canvas


All forms that exist in God's universe can be found in the human figure. The body and face can tell everything we represent. So how could I ever exhaust my interest in it?” ― Irving StoneThe Agony and the Ecstasy



"Agony and Ecstasy"(not sure i am settled on this title)
Mixed Media
18 x 24



 To try to understand another human being, to grapple for his ultimate depths, that is the most dangerous of human endeavors.”― Irving StoneThe Agony and the Ecstasy 



"Goddess Divine"
Mixed Media
18 x 24 inch canvas

There are only two kinds of women, goddesses and doormats-pablo picasso



"Losing My Religion"
Mixed Media
18 x 24 canvas

That's me in the corner 
 thats me in the spotlight
losing my religion 
trying to keep up with you
 and I don't know if I can do it
 oh no I said too much, I haven't said enough
-verse from lyrics of Losing My Religion by R.E.M.



"Untitled"
Mixed Media
18 x 24

I, with a deeper instinct, choose a man who compels my strength, who makes enormous demands on me, who does not doubt my courage or my toughness, who does not believe me naïve or innocent, who has the courage to treat me like a woman.--Anais Nin


"Untitled"
Mixed Media
18 x 24
Upon this hostile world I search 
Is there a place to plant the seed 
Of pure contentment on this Earth.


For if with love we cannot stand 
Above the lines of hidden truths 
Are we but figments on this land
Forever lost and destitute.

"The Creator, Created"
Mixed Media
18 x 24
..you are the gates of the body, and you are the gates of the soul-walt whitman

"Untitled"
Mixed Media
18 x 24
A strong woman believes that she's strong enough to face her journey, but a woman of strength has FAITH that it is in this journey that she will become strong...

Peace,
Valerie 





Remember: "Talent is cheap; dedication is expensive. It will cost you your life"
All website, text, graphics, content, and art work are the selection and arrangement thereof, Copyright © 2015 Valerie Dowdy Art, My View from 1502 and The Custom Brush ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Any use of materials on this website - including reproduction, modification, distribution, or republication - without the prior written permission from Valerie Dowdy is strictly prohibited.