Dwelling in the Present

Homemade Cabbage Soup
Easy to Make 
Snow Day!!!!! 
Yep you read that correctly....March 25, and we have snow.  You know what that means don't you?  Soup!!  No worries this is not becoming a food blog, I just want to brag a bit..... Topped the bowl off with a bit of parmesan cheese and a dollop of sour cream.




Complete Change of Subject:

Recently, I had a health scare.  Something that could have been very serious and worse.  When I received a call from my doctors office with my test results I happened to be at work.  My co-worker, who knew what was going on turns to me and says the phone is for you.....and we shared a look.  I was so unsettled I didn't even remember to use the conference room to take the call in private.  Shaking, I picked up my phone and answered. Good news. The reaction, of course, was utter relief,  a shudder ran through me and I felt an urge to cry and wasn't sure I could stop myself, I got up and walked out of the front office, and by the time I made it to the back hallway, I had to stop. I was literally weak with relief.  I've heard those words used before-shudder, weak with relief-many times, now I know exactly how they feel.

I share this story, because I feel like things like this happen for a reason.  Maybe it is nothing more than a reminder to get off your ass and get busy with living.  Whatever, this chick hears LOUD AND CLEAR.  

With renewed vigor I have been attacking the "huge ass painting" as I lovingly refer to my WIP.  Partly, I did so in fear-that I might not finish the damn thing and now-because I am happy that I will be around to finish.  This composition is key, it will serve as the central focus for my surreal exhibition.  

Below are the images which show todays progress:: The trees are finished (i think) and I am looking to the background...and before you ask, this piece is mixed media. It is a hodge podge of materials including--oils, watercolors, ink and markers.  

Left Side of Canvas
Valerie Dowdy Art
2013

Entire Image
Valerie Dowdy Art
2013

Right Side of Canvas
Valerie Dowdy Art
2013

_________________________________________________

"Do not dwell in the past, 
do not dream of the future,
concentrate the mind on the present moment."

The essence of living in the present moment, the Now, is about focusing the mind here and take attention away from thinking about past or future. The present moment is all there ever is to experience life directly. Past and future are only concepts of our mind and therefore are good for learning from or conceptual planning.  But after this, there is no need for them. Especially not to dwell in them, and get stuck there, in the mind by constant thinking loops.

Peace,
Valerie





All website, text, graphics, content, and art work are the selection and arrangement thereof, Copyright © 2015 Valerie Dowdy Art, My View from 1502 and The Custom Brush ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Any use of materials on this website - including reproduction, modification, distribution, or republication - without the prior written permission from Valerie Dowdy is strictly prohibited.