.....fine art? or craft?

Latest Surreal Tree


The more time passes since I completed my view, the more I seem to struggle with efforts to blog about what I am doing artistically.  Not to say that I am not creating, just that finding the ability to share my thoughts are more difficult.   


Close up of Surreal Tree
I have a few projects underway currently, some of which opens the door for a touchy area, one that often troubles me.  Many artists, myself included, accept commissions which are not categorized as fine art.  I tend to refer to these as "bread and butter" commissions, and I often receive opinions both for and against doing so. I believe that other artists struggle with this as well. But, lets come back to that....

Update: 

  1. I completed the window scene last week that went behind a large window frame for a small local theatre group. 
  2. I am working on a plaque (for lack of a better description). A name plaque: using the last name of a couple, the person who commissions me and I work together to come up with symbols that personify the two people and correspond with each letter. For example, T becomes a baseball bat, surrounded by sports equipment to represent the involvement that they each had in sports, and R becomes a winding road that describes their journey from where they met at school, to their home now, and so on.  
  3. As the big reveal for the limited edition ornaments quickly approaches I am putting on finishing touches and very exited to be able to share them.  Instead, I will explain to you my inspiration for their design in two words, Gustav Klimt.  I received a book about his work (thanks again Ash), so I kept thinking about how I could come up with a concept  to incorporate a variation of his style with mine to create my ornaments.
  4. The surreal tree series is still in progress (latest images included today), but I need a break from them, since I have created so many so quickly. 
  5. Finally, I am almost ready to put together the second art workshop for the Parks and Recreation center in Norton. 


back to........fine art? or craft? 

Does an artist lose 'street credibility' for dipping their brush into this area? 

There are tons of thought and even more opinions on creating work which blurs or crosses the lines between craft and fine art.  My statement can only reflect and assert my experiences. I may not have not achieved the greatest measure of fine art success, but I certainly feel fortunate so far.  

And to those who would criticize myself or any other artist for accepting work which falls short of the fine art measuring stick,  I have only this to say, if you are so fortunate to create only which comes from within and find support financially from this, BRAVO.  To the rest of us, awaiting that day..........we carry on as best we can.

Peace,
Valerie 



All website, text, graphics, content, and art work are the selection and arrangement thereof, Copyright © 2015 Valerie Dowdy Art, My View from 1502 and The Custom Brush ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Any use of materials on this website - including reproduction, modification, distribution, or republication - without the prior written permission from Valerie Dowdy is strictly prohibited.